Panoramic view from mountaintop above Vista Park, looking down to Brooks Slough. Written on back: "Leslie McEvoy". A young Roy McEvoy climbed Moe Hill to take this photo. The Cornell house, is at upper left (Red Almer's), as well as the Bailey home. Mastens home is at far left center. Crystals, Henry Bensons, Alex Campbells, a horse barn, S. Engelson and the Silverman home stand back of the business building along the river. Looking to the lower left we see the S.W. Williams roof, the Ocean Beach highway and bridge. The Lowell home and an old house are along the left bank, the Central Telephone office, Timothe Richards Store built in 1911, then the Elkhorn Saloon, a confectionery that later became Straits Butcher Shop, Mastens Boat Shop, the Barber Shop, Straus Hotel and Saloon and the C.L. Silverman Store and Warehouse. Clarence Winters owned the float house in front of Silverman's store. To the lower right Alexander Moe's house and woodshed stand back of the rock crusher and woodpiles. The Q. T. Olsons lived in the remodeled P. O. Petersons house (now Stanley Thackers). Roofs of houses seen belonged to Charles Meehan, Matt Fredrickson, Andrew Peterson, Charles Wilson and Charlie Carlson, Skamokawa Pete's father; the Abrams house was moved to make way for the new highway bridge. Iver Veda and Engwal Bjornsgaard. Starting from the upper right, across the water, one can see the Jessee Eggman and Ferguson Kennedy home; smoke from the mills can be seen above the Skamokawa School District No. 6, the Midway store, Bert Lotts home and the creamery are in the Thacker Store vicinity. The Pat Neville home, Bill Lloyds (H. Madden), the parsonage and Methodist church, the mess hall, The Skamokawa Eagle office and the hotel are near Steamboat Slough. (From the Wahkiakum County Eagle, Cathlamet, Washington - 4th Annual Historical Edition - Thursday, April 29, 1976).
This and other early photos can be seen in the Wahkiakum County Heritage Collection, on the Washington State Library blog.